This notice explains what information we collect, when we collect it and how we use this. During the course of our activities, we will process personal data (which may be held on paper, electronically, or otherwise) about you and we recognise the need to treat it in an appropriate and lawful manner. The purpose of this notice is to make you aware of how we will handle your information.
Who are we?
Studylets and Stirling Student Properties and Stirling Property Management ("we" or "us") take the issue of security and data protection very seriously and strictly adhere to guidelines published in the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 which is applicable from the 25th May 2018, together with any domestic laws subsequently enacted.
We are notified as a Data Controller with the Office of the Information Commissioner under registration number ZA087697 and we are the data controller of any personal data that you provide to us.
Our Data Protection Officer is Dorian Hardacre firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions relating to this notice and our privacy practices should be sent to the data protection officer.
How we collect information from you and what information we collect:
We collect information about you
- From your application for accommodation directly to us
- From your application for accommodation via third party lettings agents that we may utilise from time to time to market our properties
(including but not limited to creating tenancy agreements, guarantor agreements, or notices).
We collect the following information about you:
- Tenant name, e-mail address, telephone numbers, date of birth, address (including any previous addresses), marital status, sex, national insurance number, nationality, next of kin, name of university or college where you are studying (if applicable), course details, the name of friends that you are staying with (if applicable);
- Guarantor name, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth, address (including any previous addresses), marital status, national insurance number, nationality, next of kin (if applicable);
- Property address; term, rent, deposit, utility and service responsibilities;
- The employment status of tenants and/or guarantors, address, contact details (including email, phone and fax numbers) of the employer/accountant, payroll numbers, length of employment, salary information (including any regular overtime or commission), and any other income received;
- Bank account details of the tenant, including account number and sort code, and any hire purchase/loan agreements/credit cards or store cards that you have;
- Any data required of us by law under Right To Rent legislation such as passport, driving licence, birth certificate, visa, or similar documentation
- Witness name, address, telephone number, email address
- Any welfare benefits that you may be eligible for, or are currently on; and
- Any other pertinent information pertaining to providing a tenancy
Why we need this information about you and how it will be used
We need your information and will use your information:
- to undertake and perform our obligations and duties to you in accordance with the terms of our contract with you;
- to enable us to supply you with the services and information which you have requested;
- to help you to manage your tenancy;
- to carry out due diligence on any prospective tenant, including whether there is any money judgements against them, or any history of bankruptcy or insolvency;
- to analyse the information we collect so that we can administer, support, improve and develop our business and the services we offer;
- to contact you in order to send you details of any changes to our services or suppliers which may affect you;
- to send you information relevant to your tenancy, such as utility service provider offers
- to supply the local authority with your name and contact details on receipt of a legitimate request for information about you concerning council tax
- to supply any bona fide organisation or entity with whom you have incurred a debt relating to the tenancy or whilst in occupation of the property with your name and contact details
- for all other purposes consistent with the proper performance of our operations and business.
Sharing of Your Information
The information you provide to us will be treated by us as confidential. Your data may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
We may disclose your information to other third parties who act for us for the purposes set out in this notice or for purposes approved by you, including the following:
- If we enter into a joint venture with or merge with a business entity, your information may be disclosed to our new business partners or owners;
- To carry out due diligence on you as a prospective tenant/guarantor, including but not limited to the carrying out of affordability checks, due diligence checks and the obtaining of references from relevant parties, whose data you have provided;
- If you request so, your information shall be disclosed in order to determine if there are any money judgements against you, as the prospective tenant/guarantor, or to determine if they have a history of bankruptcy or insolvency;
- If you are unable to make payments under your tenancy, your information may be disclosed to any relevant party assisting in the recovery of this debt or the tracing of you as a tenant; and
- In the creation, renewal or termination of the tenancy, your information will be disclosed to the relevant local authority, tenancy deposit scheme administrator, service/utility provider, freeholder, factor, facilities manager or any other relevant person or organisation in connection with this.
Unless required to do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
We may transfer your information outside the UK and/or EEA such as when we utilise a hosting platform for our tenancy software or similar, in a country such as the USA
Where information is transferred outside the UK or EEA, we ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your information in accordance with this notice
How long we will keep your information
We review our data retention periods regularly and will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as required by law (we may be legally required to hold some types of information for a minimum specific term), or as set out in any relevant contract we have with you.
You have the right at any time to:
- ask for a copy of the information about you held by us in our records;
- require us to correct any inaccuracies in your information;
- make a request to us to delete what personal data of yours we hold; and
- object to receiving any marketing communications from us.
The Act gives you the right to access the information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights above please contact us at email@example.com
Should you wish to complain about the use of your information, we would ask that you contact us to resolve this matter in the first instance. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office in relation to our use of your information. The Information Commissioner's contact details are noted below:
Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane
Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
The Information Commissioner's Office - Scotland
45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL
Telephone: 0131 244 9001
Information Commissioner's Office
2nd floor, Churchill House
Churchill way, Cardiff, CF10 2HH
Telephone: 029 2067 8400
Information Commissioner's Office
3rd Floor, 14 Cromac Place
Belfast, BT7 2JB
Telephone: 028 9027 8757
The accuracy of your information is important to us - please help us keep our records updated by informing us of any changes to your email address and other contact details